Meningitis is referred to as contagious and infectious disease which is found very rarely. It refers to an inflammation of the meninges, the tissue or the protective membranes that surrounds and connects the brain with the spinal cord. It is generally caused by an infection done by the virus referred to as viral meningitis or by the bacteria referred as the bacterial meningitis. Only in very rare cases, it is infected or triggered by fungus or a parasite. It mostly occurs to young children and youngsters who falls between the age group of (0-5) and (17- 25).
It can also be caused to people above the age of 55 and especially to those who lives in close quarters like those of barracks and dormitories. People who suffer from allied immune system or suffering from AIDA are also more prone to meningitis. Some of the facts clears that approximately 50% of the cases of meningitis can be seen in first five years of life.
Bacterial meningitis can be seen very rare but it is very serious and requires proper and urgent treatment. It occurs when an infection in the body spreads through the blood and finally enters the cerebrospinal fluid. The infection can also enter the brain tissue and cause brain damage in certain cases. Cryptococcal meningitis is also an infection which is caused in brain and is mostly found in dirt or bird droppings. Often do people ask question regarding What is meningitis?, how it is caused? and what are its symptoms? Here you can get a perfect answer to your questions.
Causes of meningitis
- Meningitis can be caused by many viruses and bacterial infections.
- Bacterial meningitis affects less people than the viral form as it is present in the back of nose or threat, can be spread through coughing and sneezing.
- Virus meningitis is lesser serious than that of bacterial meningitis as it occurs your body as a result of poor hygiene.
Symptoms of meningitis
Symptoms are similar for both bacterial as well as viral infection:
- Irritation and drowsiness
- Eyes that are sensitive to light.
- Refusing to eat
- Difficulty in walking, etc